What is Reopen Rate?
Reopen Rate (RR) represents the percentage of solved tickets that have been reopened by a customer reply.
These are tickets that were solved and have been reopened. A ticket reopen occurs when a customer replies to a solved ticket which triggers an open status on that ticket.
When calculating the Reopen Rate for an agent, we will include :
- First agent responses that contributed to the solved ticket without the ticket being reopened and,
- Agent responses that contributed to the solved ticket with a ticket reopen.
This means that responses that solve a ticket without it being reopened receive positive points and responses that cause a ticket to be reopened receive negative points.
How is it calculated?
Formula: RR% = (Reopened Tickets / Total Tickets Solved) x 100
If a ticket is solved by an agent - "Gary". Gary will be given credit for solving that ticket on his first public comment (Response). At this time, the Reopen Rate (RR) = 0 because the ticket was not reopened. This would then appear on Gary’s scorecard and give him positive points.
This means that Gary solved a ticket with no reopen! He did a great job! 👍
If the ticket Gary solved is then reopened, Reopen Rate (RR) = 1 because the ticket was reopened. This will be logged on Gary’s scorecard and negative points will be given for the first public comment (Response).
But what happens when multiple agents work on the same ticket? See the diagram below and read from left to right.
Remember: Reopen Rate (RR) = 0 is logged on the first public comment when a ticket is solved. Reopen Rate (RR) = 1 is logged on the first public comment when the ticket is reopened.
If Gary’s ticket is reopened and Agatha solves the ticket without it being reopened. Agatha’s first public comment will be given positive points. Her Reopen Rate = 0 for this ticket.
If Agatha solved the ticket and it was reopened. Agatha’s first public comment will have a Reopen Rate = 1.
- Gary’s second comment does not receive positive points (RR=0)
- Agatha working on Gary’s ticket does not affect how Agatha is judged. Even though Agathas' first response happened after the ticket was reopened, she will still receive positive points if the ticket was solved with no reopen.
Pro-tip for Reopen Rate :
- Reopen rate can help you identify knowledge gaps in your processes
- Help you determine if you/your agents are asking relevant questions which supports the resolution of the request
- This metric can be used in coaching conversations on written communication : How to deliver a message to ensure all points are covered when providing a response to customer to avoid the customer from coming back.
- During 1-1 discussions, you could use this metric to help guide you/your agents in the discussion. The data in Reopen Rate will give you specific examples which you could use in your conversation highlighting improvement points on many things such as :
- Reasons why tickets are reopened,
- Coaching on procedures, are your agents following the correct procedure? or do they need additional training?
- If you notice a low CSAT or a low quality score, you could deep dive into Reopen Rate to see if there is any link between these 3 or 2 metrics.
Reopen Rate Challenge :
We understand that tickets reopen for multiple reasons, a customer saying “Thank you” or giving feedback on a product and in some cases, multiple agents can reply on the same ticket before it gets solved. If this ticket happens to be reopened we would have to penalize each agent as we don’t know who caused the reopened ticket.
No agent should be penalized in such instances. To avoid this, use the RR challenge feature to challenge the negative points allocated to the ticket.
Read more about it here.
How do we use this in the Dojo?
In the past, you did not collect any points for tickets with zero reopens instead, points were deducted for each ticket that has been reopened.
With the new Reopen Rate definition, once the ticket is solved, you will now collect points on Reopen Rate for the first agent reply that contributed to the the solved ticket. Once the ticket is solved you will gain points in your Quality skill! Looking to get a different colour for your Ninjas headband ?