Reopen Rate (RR) metric definition
What is Reopen Rate?
Reopen Rate (RR) is the percentage of solved tickets that have been reopened by a customer.
A ticket reopen occurs when a customer replies to a solved ticket which triggers an open status on that ticket.
How is it calculated?
Formula: RR% = (Reopened Tickets / Total Tickets Solved) x 100
If a ticket is solved by an agent - Gary. Gary will be given credit for solving that ticket on his first public comment. At this time, the Reopen Rate (RR) = 0 because the ticket was not reopened. This would then appear on Gary’s scorecard and give him points.
This means that Gary solved a ticket with no reopen! He did a great job! 👍
If the ticket Gary solved is then reopened, Reopen Rate (RR) = 1 because the ticket was reopened. This will be logged on Gary’s scorecard and adjust the points given for the first public comment.
But what happens when multiple agents work on the same ticket? See the diagram below and read from left to right.
Remember: Reopen Rate (RR) = 0 is logged on the first public comment when a ticket is solved. Reopen Rate (RR) = 1 is logged on the first public comment when the ticket is reopened.
If Gary’s ticket is reopened and Agatha solves the ticket without it being reopened. Agatha’s first public comment will be credited. Her Reopen Rate = 0 for this ticket.
If Agatha solved the ticket and it was reopened. Agatha’s first public comment will have a Reopen Rate = 1.
1. Gary’s second comment does not affect the Reopen Rate metric.
2. Agatha working on Gary’s ticket does not affect how Agatha is judged. Agatha could be the first one to respond to the ticket or the 27th. It doesn’t matter to her.
**What changed from before?**
Before, Kaizo was only tracking if a ticket was reopened and allocating negative points to responses that caused a ticket to reopen.
Now, responses that solve a ticket without it being reopened receive positive points and responses that cause a ticket to be reopened receive negative points.
**We also understand that: tickets reopen for multiple reasons.**
**Eg. A customer saying “Thank you”**
No agent should be penalized in such instances. To avoid this, use the **RR challenge feature**.
If a customer responds with a "Thank you" note or perhaps want to give feedback on the product, on the ticket that is still solved. The reopen should not be penalised. The negative points allocated to the ticket can be removed using the **RR challenge feature**
Read more about it [here](https://www.notion.so/Reopen-Rate-RR-metric-definition-b63202f2d7834c5f89b5f89d40595cef)..
**Pro-tip for Reopen Rate :**
- Reopen rate can help you *identify knowledge gaps* in your processes
- Help you determine if you/your agents are *asking relevant questions* which supports the resolution of the request
- This metric can be used in *coaching conversations on written communication* : How to deliver a message to ensure all points are covered when providing a response to customer to avoid the customer from coming back.
- During 1-1 discussions, you could use this metric to help guide you/your agents in the discussion. The data in *Reopen Rate will give you specific examples* which you could use in your conversation highlighting improvement points on many things such as :
1. Reasons why tickets are reopened,
2. Coaching on procedures, are your agents following the correct procedure? or do they need additional training?
3. If you notice a low CSAT or a low quality score, you could deep dive into Reopen Rate to see if there is any link between these 3 or 2 metrics.
**How do we use this in your Dojo?**
In the past, you did not collect any points for tickets with zero reopens instead, points were deducted for each ticket that has been reopened.
With the new Reopen Rate calculation, once the ticket is solved, you will now collect points on Reopen Rate for all first public comments, so once the ticket is solved you will gain points in your productivity skill! Looking to get new bag pack for your Ninja? 🎒